Jackson Michigan Prison
    Michigan Historical Marker

"This was the original site of Michigan's first state prison, approved by the legislature in 1838. A temporary wooden prison, enclosed by a fence of tamarack poles, was built on sixty acres donated for that purpose here. In 1839 the first thirty-five prisoners were received. A permanent prison was built three years later. Beginning in the 1850's under Warden H.F. Hatch a greater emphasis was placed on the education and rehabilitation of prisoners. After 1934 the inmates were housed in the new prison north of Jackson."

National Guard Armory, north end of Mechanic Street, S178; January 24, 1958, 1958


© Copyright 2005 Albion Design ™
All rights reserved for these pages and all subsequent pages.





rainbow bar

"Around Town, Jackson, Michigan" courtesy of Albion Design.
Marketing, web pages, custom art and custom greeting cards.